Powered by Blogger.

Friday Fragments: Episode #4

 Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mommy's Idea

To learn more about Friday Fragments, visit Mrs. 4444's blog.

Abu Dhabi Sandstorms

For the past few days, we've been experiencing sandstorms. Nothing like the sandstorm in Mission Impossible 4, mind you, but still crazy. Visibility was practically nonexistent in some places. I've been sleeping with my windows opened with the weather being nice & cool. I had to close them this week cos (a) sand kept blowing in my room, and (b) the wind was blowing so hard, it had my door rattling. Hard. And even with the craziness that is a sandstorm, there were still idiotas who decided it's ok to rev their engines & speed down the street.


I can usually see beyond the ADNEC bldg, but not with the sandstorm.

Wind + Sand = Allergies

Earlier this week, I went running (I know, hard to believe). Lucky me, it was very windy. So, I had to deal with sand constantly blowing in my face. I forgot that sand triggers my allergies just as much as greenery does. It started out slow. A cough here & there. Slight congestion. Itchy eyes. Then, Thursday, my voice chose to slowly go away. And Thursday night, I was at my worst. So, needless to say, I've been sick this weekend...the whole nine: sore throat, no voice, coughing my insides out, sneezing, congestion.

My original plans for the weekend: clean my house, wash/fold/put away laundry, go salsa dancing, have fun. What I actually did: sleep, drink tea, wash laundry, dump said laundry on bed & leave it there, sleep, watch my tv shows, drink tea, sleep, etc. Didn't get much done. Man, I hate being sick! And I'm certain I've reached my tea consumption limit, tho I love tea. It's all I've been drinking.

Teaching With No Voice

Teaching 20-something 3 & 4 year olds who don't understand your language is hard enough. Teaching them ALONE, with a sore throat and NO voice is darn near impossible. Such was my day Thursday. But I survived, thank God. When they got too rowdy, I'd sit down on the carpet and cross my arms...wouldn't say a thing. They caught on that Ms. Raenice isn't happy. So one by one, they'd sit on the carpet and close their mouths. I didn't think it would work, but it did! A wonderful alternative to raising your voice, something I don't like to do.

4 comments:

Wayne W Smith February 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM  

You sound a smart and innovative teacher.

Unknown February 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

Thank you! I try to be, especially with teaching in a foreign country. :D

Mrs4444 February 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM  

Awesome (your solution to getting the kids to settle). You are a smart woman.

Your sand storm is fascinating. I guess I can't complain about our snowstorms (though we haven't had any, really, this year)

Hope you're back to your healthy self soon. Thanks for linking up! :) Have a great weekend.

Unknown February 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM  

Lol. Thanks! And I don't know what would b worse. I experienced snowstorms when I was little.

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP