Powered by Blogger.

How It All Began, Part 2

 Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I abhor interviews. I get so nervous sometimes that my mind goes blank. Ugh! I know I haven't been taking this seriously, but it hits me: I really want this job. By the time I arrive at the hotel, I'm good. I've talked to God and He's calmed my fears.

There are four other interviewees, one of which is interviewing with Ash, the recruiter. After Ash is finished, he comes over to talk to us before the next round of interviews. He tells us about the city of Abu Dhabi (used to be desert before discovering oil), the residents (only 20% of the residents were actually born in Abu Dhabi; the rest are from around the world), and the education reform (ADEC wants students to be able to compete globally, hence their hiring English-speaking teachers). He also discusses the challenges we'd face and lets us know that the average citizen is worth $17 million. $17 MILLION! Every natural-born citizen have benefited from the oil discovery. I wonder how much is the average US citizen worth...

My turn to interview. The butterflies are having a field day in my tummy, but I'm good. I speak with confidence, ask questions...I'm thinking I did well. Nothing left to do but wait...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

OMG! I did it! I'm moving on to the final step...the interview with ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council). Mama's already talking like I got the job. My family's already making plans to visit. This is crazy! This is madness! This is...AWESOME!

Friday, May 6, 2011

I have a week to go before my interview. Gotta get papers together. A thought crosses my mind: Even if I don't get this job, I'll be happy. I've experienced growth in this short amount of time. The old Rae would NEVER have even applied for a job out of city, let alone out of this country. But, here I am, getting ready for my final interview to work in a place on the other side of the world. Thank God for growth!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Interview day. It's dreary and rainy outside, but I refuse to let that deter me. I'm gonna ace this interview. Since I left my umbrella at home by accident, I'm all wet when I get to the room (they're interviewing at the Embassy Suites...niiiice), but I remain upbeat. It's my turn to interview. *breathe* I meet Fiona, from Down Under. She's so cool and friendly. It almost doesn't feel like an interview...just like I'm talking to a friend. She tells me I remind her so much of her friend who lives in Abu Dhabi (this is a good thing, perhaps?). I don't miss the fact that she says I'll have to meet her friend when, not if, I move to Abu Dhabi. Although I don't get an offer right there, I have a good feeling about this. This job is so mine!

Tuesday, May 16, 2011

I haven't heard a thing! They said in 2-3 days. Why haven't I heard a thing?!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I GOT THE JOB!

I listen to the voice mail Ash left saying the contracts are being held up, but I will be offered a position to teach in the UAE. I've listened to this voicemail over and over and over again. This moment is bittersweet. I'm leaving my family, my comfort zone, all that I know and love to venture to the other side of the world. I'm so gonna miss my fam. At the beginning of this year, God told me that 2011 is gonna be about change for me. This is definitely the biggest change I've had in my life so far. But I'm ready for it. God's about to do some major stuff in my life and I'm so excited. This is my moment. Bring it on!

6 comments:

Racquel Henry July 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

Wow, how exciting! Someday, I hope to be this brave! You are very inspiring. Good luck and I look forward to following your journey! :)

Traci Marie Wolf July 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

Whoa! I can't imagine not changing after all that. Well, I can't wait to read more about the ride of your life.

NiaRaie July 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

First of all, everyone citizen is worth about $17 million?? Sheesh. Also, I'm glad you were brave enough to step into the door God has opened for you. I'm sure your family is super proud and that you'll have a life changing experience. Idk if I could have done it!

Unknown July 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM  

Thanks, guys! This is a BIG deal for me as I'm more of a homebody...love being near my family. Guess God was thinking it's time for me to move on. I'm definitely going to blog/vlog about and take pics during my experience there. This is gonna be challenging, yet fun & I'm glad y'all are with me for the ride. :)

Unknown July 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

So cool!! Do you have to have a teaching degree, or would a BS in something like sciences do? I would JUMP at the chance to do something like this. You are sooooo lucky!!

Congrats on your adventure!

Sig

Unknown July 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

Thanks Sig. This specific organization (TeachAway) is asking for licensed teachers.

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP