Powered by Blogger.

I'm a Survivor

 Sunday, July 15, 2012

Well, I did it.


I survived my first year teaching abroad. It was a challenging year, but through God's strength, I made it. The school year is finally over.


The students' last day of school was officially June 21st, though many stopped coming before then. Unfortunately for teachers, the last day was July 12th. Why the powers that be chose to have that 3-week gap, I don't know, but it was excruciating. At least for me. Many teachers spent the last three weeks doing absolutely nothing. Well except for working out (at school), eating, reading, or chillaxing.


Not us.


Our last few weeks were spent in PDs (professional developments), preparing for the next school year, blah, blah, blah. To be honest, I mentally checked out sometime around week one. I was done working. My body was there, but my mind had already gone on vacation. It was a struggle to get up in the mornings and go to work, but nevertheless, we did. And we're finished. Thank you, JESUS! I'm seriously contemplating getting a shirt that says, "I survived teaching in Abu Dhabi." I have that Destiny's Child song in my head. "I'm a survivor. I'm not gon give up. I'm not gon stop. I'm gon work harder." Describes this year perfectly.


My brain rejects anything school-like, so enough about school.


My vacation will consist of a trip to Phuket (pronounced Poo-ket) Thailand, home (the US), and Puerto Rico. I know, awesome, right???


Tomorrow morning, my friends and I leave for Phuket for a 6-day/5-night vacation. I so can NOT wait. There is fun - and relaxation - to be had. Next week, I leave for home. I can't wait to see my family! Oh, how I miss them so. Then, it's off to San Juan, Puerto Rico with the sis for a 7-day/6-night vacation. Seven days may not be enough, I know but we'll make the best out of the time we have. I can't wait to see the gorgeous men...uh, I mean the gorgeous beaches of Puerto Rico. Heehee. I spend the rest of my vacation back in Houston with the fam before I come back to Abu Dhabi for another great year of teaching.


I'm thinking this summer may turn out to be the best one yet.

6 comments:

Unknown July 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

congrats. I'm happy to hear that someone made it. It's encouraging as I'm about to begin the adventure.
I really want to go to Thailand too, that is on my list of travels. How exciting!!
Hope to meet you when I make it over.
www.jadeblyssjourney.blogspot.com

Unknown July 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM  

Thanks, Kahleel! People do survive teaching in Abu Dhabi. Lol. It's been a challenge at times, but I've enjoyed myself so far. Can't wait to see what God has in store for me this coming up year.

And Thailand was awesome! I'll post about it sometime next week. Hope to meet u too. Let me know when u come. :D

michelle July 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM  

Congrats on surviving one year abroad! The worst is over and I'm sure it can only get better from now on.

Unknown August 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM  

Hey Rae, I'm finally here. I'll be in Khalifa City A. I wanted to know where you bought your furniture and what I need to do to get a good bargain.
I am thinking about Ikea and Carrefour which seem like the best places so far. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks a bunch and can't wait to hear about Thailand. So exciting!

Unknown August 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM  

Hi Kahleel. Khalifa City A isn't too far from where I'm at...about 20 min. I got my furniture from one of the small shops. Honestly, I can't remember the name. They came to our hotel. There were teachers who got their stuff from Ikea and Carrefour, so it's doable.

I'm behind on my posting, but I do plan on posting about my summer. Lol. I'll be back in AD on the 29th. I'll email u my AD cell # when I get back. :D

Unknown August 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM  

Michelle, I certainly hope so. Lol. I pretty sure my next 2 years will be better. :D

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP