Powered by Blogger.

Volcanic Eruptions

 Thursday, May 17, 2012

Our letter of the week was "V" and one of our vocab words volcano. So, Monday I had a light bulb moment. Why don't I make a volcano and show the kids a model of what an eruption would be like! Mix vocabulary with science. Genius, right? Yes, I know. I thought so too. 


For a second, I completely forgot about the fact that I'm not an artist. Only for a second, tho. Then I remembered how bad I am at drawing or making things. I paint awesome pictures with my words, but I suck at painting awesome pics. 


Or any pics for that matter.



Anyway, I decided since my babies would like it, I'd go on and attempt to do it. I mean, these are 4 year-olds who live in the desert, for pete's sake. They know of volcanoes (or bolcan in Arabic), but I'm sure most of them have never seen one in real life. So, it's not like any of them were gonna stand up and say, "Uh, Miss Raenice. That's so not a volcano." They don't even speak enough English to say that. So, with a water bottle, a box, a splash of flour here, a hint of oil there, and a pinch of salt and water thrown in, I made a volcano. A very lumpy volcano, but a volcano, nonetheless. Then, I had another light bulb moment. Why don't I paint the box and the (lumpy) volcano! Again, another genius idea, right? Yes, I know. I thought so too.


So, I did it. I painted everything to make it look somewhat real. Or perhaps the decorating was really done to mask the horror that was my volcano. I got compliments on it, but I'm sure inside, they were thinking, "What in the hell is that?" That's ok. I'm fine with my lack of artistic abilities. I embrace it. It is who I am. Artistically deficient. That's me. And I'm ok with that. Sort of. It's not like I'm jealous of people like my brother, dad, and friends who are awesome artists. Nope. Ok, maybe a little. I wish I could draw or make models of stuff.


Creative person that I am, making things soothes me. Whether it's through my baking or my writing or even my horrible art models and drawings. It's my getaway. Had a bad day? I write. Feeling stressed? I color or bake. Using my God-given creativity is a stress reliever. And I so wish I can add drawing to that list.


But I digress. Today, I showed my classes the model and they loved it. Their eyes were so wide with wonder. And when it erupted...excitement galore. So, my volcano may have sucked in the looks department, but it was all kinds of awesome in the "My students are gonna love this" department. As my kids would say, "Good job, Miss Raenice. Good job!"


First thought that came to mind when I finished, "This looks like animal poop!"

5 comments:

Arr May 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM  

I like it. I'm glad the kids liked it too.

Unknown May 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM  

Thanks, Reginia! I'm glad the kids liked it too. :D

Deirdra A. Eden June 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM  

You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: the Powerful Woman Writer Award. There are no pass along requirements. This is just to reward you for all the hard work you do!

Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

Anonymous,  July 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM  

Thank you so much for posting your journey in Abu Dhabi. I spent past two hours reading your entire blog. I was trying to get a realistic viewpoint of the experience. Still thinking but willing to step out on faith.

Unknown July 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM  

Deirdra, thank you so much!

Anonymous, thanks for commenting. I must say, stepping out on faith is always the way to go. I don't regret it at all. Blessings to you! :D

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP