Powered by Blogger.

How It All Began, Part 1

 Monday, July 4, 2011

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I receive an email stating that the local news did a piece on the recruiting agency, Teach Away Inc, who's recruiting 1,000 teachers to teach in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. It's for an education initiative they've been conducting for the past two years. My first thought is, "Abu Dhabi? Where in the world is that?" My second thought is, "Nah. This job's definitely not for me. It's too far away from home."

For the next hour or so, there's this annoying voice in my head that won't leave me alone. "Go for it," it keeps saying. I try to ignore it. I mean, come on. It's not even in this country! But the voice is so darn persistent. I settle for looking up Abu Dhabi. Oh my! The beaches are gorgeous!


Nevertheless, it's not in Houston, so I won't be applying. "Do it," the voice tells me. So, to shut the voice up, I apply. No harm, right? They'll probably end up saying no thanks anyway...

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Oh. My. Gosh! Just got an email back from Teach Away. Should I open it? What does it say? Doesn't matter cos I'm not moving to Abu Dhabi. I won't.  Curiosity gets the best of me, so I open it.

"...we would like to consider your application..."

EEP! I'm moving on to stage 2 - fill out the full application. Wait a minute! What am I thinking. This isn't exciting. This is not even important. I. Am. Not. Going. To Abu Dhabi. "Do it!" There goes that pesky voice again. Knowing it won't leave me alone, I fill out the full app. This time, I'm sure they'll say no...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another email. What's this one gonna say? I open it.

"...Teach Away would like to invite you to the initial interview..."

Seriously? I can't believe it! Ok, breathe. I have two choices: Don't confirm my attendance for this interview and pretend none of this ever happened or confirm my attendance and see what happens. This time, I don't even need the voice to tell me. I confirm. Surely I won't get any further than this...

5 comments:

Traci Marie Wolf July 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM  

WOW! What an amazing opportunity. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Bill October 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

Great post, and well written. I'd love to know what happened. I also am contemplating the same opportunity to teach English in Abu Dhabi. Sounds like such a big step, good luck on your decision. What worries you the most?

Unknown October 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

Thanks, Bill. I've been here for 2 months and I love it. I've been posting about my experiences so people can get a feel of what it's like. There have been challenges, but I definitely don't regret my decision. I say go for it. Just know that it's not for the faint of heart. But it's a very rewarding experience. At least for me it is.

Mona January 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM  

Hey Rae! I just came across your blog and am LOVING it! I'm wondering if there's any way to get in contact with you regarding the Teach Away program? I'm interested in doing it and would love to hear the perspective of someone who actually did it! My email is monahannon@gmail.com if you're able to find time in your crazy schedule to shoot me a quick email :) Thank you!

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP