Powered by Blogger.

Two Weeks and Counting

 Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just got my itinerary this morning. I'm leaving on August 11th. As I looked at the email, it hit me: I'm really leaving. I admit, I cried. I'm tearing up now as I post this. I'm seriously going to miss my family. I'm positive August 11th is going to be a bittersweet day - exciting cos I'm moving to one of the richest cities in the world; sad cos I'm leaving my family. What takes the sting off is the fact that during the first year, I may see them (or some of them) every 4-5 months. I'll be back in December during my winter break, I plan to fly my parents out during my spring break (their 35th wedding anniversary is in April, so this'll be my gift), my sister comes in May, then I go home in July for summer vacation. All that's left is seeing my brother, nephews, and my adopted sibs and I'm cool. This helps me, tho. It's just the in between...the fact that they won't be a hope, skip, and a jump away. But there's always Skype, although we'd have to think of a good time since there's a nine-hour time difference.

So anyway, ask me if I'm ready. Go on. Ask me. My answer? Nope. I mean, mentally, yeah, I'm so there. But otherwise, no. I still have stuff to do. I'm getting rid of practically everything I own (except my books...can't part with my books). Sis and I are still trying to find someone to take over our lease. I don't have luggage, which explains why I'm not packed. I have a few things I have to download before I leave to make life easier over there. I have to get more long dresses and sandals. I have to get an international drivers license. I have other things I need to do and only two weeks to do it. But I'm not worried...okay, maybe I started to panic, but I'm good now. Things will work out.

I just remembered I haven't blogged about my new haircut! With the changes I'm making with this trip, I've decided to make a few other changes to kind of symbolize what's going on in my life. Getting rid of almost everything I own reminds me that this is a new beginning for me. Letting go of the old and welcoming the new. I'm hopefully getting my nose pierced this weekend, symbolizing the fact that I've let go of fear and am ready to live life to the fullest (I've always wanted a nose piercing, but have been too scared to get one). My haircut was somewhat the same. I've cut away what's holding me back. The biggest reason I've cut my hair is cos I'm going natural (no chemicals to my hair) and without perms, my hair is CRAZY thick. I didn't want to go to Abu Dhabi, where the temps can get to 108 degrees or higher, with my long, thick hair. It would've been UNBEARABLE. So, I chopped my hair off. I'm hoping to get braids at some point before the year ends. Just easier to maintain. So, here's a pic of my new haircut:


Yep. Chopped it off. Like a good five inches gone bye bye. I do plan to grow my hair out. I just wanted to get used to Abu Dhabi's heat before I did.

I have two weeks left. Am I really ready for this? Why yes. Yes I am!

3 comments:

http://www.samposey.com/ July 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

Your new hairdo is beautiful and so are you. So exciting to be going off and living abroad. Yeah, moving away from family and friends is hard, but with such growth potential! Have fun!

Unknown July 31, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

You look BEAUTIFUL in your pic!! And sooo happy. I hope your transition/move goes smoothly. It is so exciting!! Just think, you will be doing what many of us would love to do. And being paid for it. I think you will have many priceless experiences.

You will miss your family, but they will always be there. And it sounds like the times between won't be terribly long.

I can hardly wait to read more of your experiences!

Sig

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP