Powered by Blogger.

H is for...Henna

 Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I know I'm a day behind with the posts. No worries, I'll be all caught up by Sunday.


Henna is actually a plant with different uses. The most popular uses here in AD are temporary tattoo and hair coloring. The most popular areas where women get henna are the feet and hands/arms. They get intricate tattoos that sometimes cover both the top and sole of the foot or a design that starts at the hand and continues on up the arm. I've seen some beautiful henna designs as well as hair color. 








From what I hear, henna is very popular with brides here. They get an intricate design, where the artist hides his/her name within the design. During the wedding night, the new husband tries to find the name. Interesting, right? Makes for an interesting wedding night. ;)


I've been thinking about getting henna, especially when my time comes to walk the aisle. I've seen gorgeous henna design that sparkles. I'm thinking that's what I'll be getting when I get married.






And now for more Arabic vocabulary...


hatha - this

7 comments:

Mel April 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM  

I've always thought that henna was beautiful...and it really does work well as a natural hair dye. Great post!

Unknown April 11, 2012 at 6:36 AM  

Thanks, Mel! Yes it does work well. I've seen students with henna in their hair...gorgeous!

Tara Tyler April 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

i love that white for the bride! whenever i see it, it looks so beautiful and intricate! the big question, does it hurt??

nice to meet you =)

Unknown April 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM  

Nice to meet you too, Tara! I love the white. If I decide to do it, that's what I'm getting. And no it doesn't hurt. I haven't had it, but I know it's not like regular tattoos. Some of my female students (I teach 3 & 4 year olds) wear it on their hands & arms.

Andrew Leon April 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

Wow, that's pretty cool. Especially all the color options.

Rena Lesué April 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM  

love that design.
nice to meet you.
A to Zer!
prose-spective.blogspot.com

Unknown April 12, 2012 at 4:51 AM  

Andrew, the designs I've seen are pretty cool! Very intricate.

Rena, nice to meet you too!

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP