Powered by Blogger.

L is for...Languages

 Saturday, April 14, 2012

I am a woman on a mission. That mission - should I choose to accept it (sorry couldn't resist) - is to become multilingual. Knowing only one language is so...blah. Knowing more than one language, tho, opens up a whole new world.


Since I live in Abu Dhabi now, I'm trying to learn Arabic. It's a beautiful language. And they talk so passionately here...with so much expression. I'm not so sure I'll be able to read & write it. I mean, it looks so confusing! For example, the word, car, looks like this, سيارة (I got this from Google Translate, by the way). I've learned that it sounds like sayara. I'm learning more and more Arabic words everyday. Not so sure about writing/reading it, but who knows. Hopefully, I'll be able to hold a basic conversation in Arabic. One thing I notice is they love it when you make an attempt to speak their language.


I wish I'd started learning new languages as a kid. It's so much easier to learn when you're young. I see my students and how quickly they're picking up English within less than a year. They're going to be totally bilingual before they even reach the 6th grade! Unfortunately, I started in my late teens. I know and understand Spanish, tho I'm still learning how to respond.


But I started and that's what counts. I'm determined to be multilingual. And when the time comes for me to have kids, so they will be multilingual, too. 


So, after I've conquered Spanish and Arabic, what language should I learn? Japanese? French? Portuguese? Who knows! The sky's the limit!


And now for some Arabic vocabulary...


la - no




6 comments:

Arr April 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM  

I am learning all of these new words though your posts. "La" will be quite helpful I hear. :)

Liwi April 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM  

Very true, learning another language is way easier the younger you are, English is not my native language and I'm very grateful I was forced to learn it in school. But being in a country with a language that's not your own is a great help too, so I'm sure your learning will pick up speed soon! And Arabic really isn't the easiest language to begin with! Good luck!

Andrew Leon April 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

I am not a language person. At all.
I had a teacher in high school, though, that knew a dozen languages.

Unknown April 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM  

Reginia, you will hear "la" a lot from the kids when they don't want to do something you tell them. Lol.

Liwi, I agree being here helps. I think that's the best way for me to learn...immersion. If I go to a Spanish speaking country, I know I'll come back fluent. It's how I'm learning Arabic.

Andrew, 12 languages??? Wow! If only. :D

Mel April 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM  

I love languages and wish I was fluent, or had better opportunities to become fluent, in more than English and German. Here's to pursuing new languages!

Unknown April 16, 2012 at 6:18 AM  

Mel, you're further ahead than many people since you know 2 languages. I know you're ahead of me. Lol.

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP