Powered by Blogger.

O is for...Over the Top

 Tuesday, April 17, 2012

One thing I've noticed is that Emiratis love their bling. I see evidence of this everywhere. From their jewelry to their cars. We hardly ever see the locals in anything other than their traditional wear, but even that's decorated.

Back home, when someone has gotten engaged, the gift is usually something the new couple can use in their new married life. Here, they get gold. Real gold. Back home, when someone is sick, they'd usually receive flowers and a card from coworkers and friends. Here? Jewelry or expensive perfume.

So yeah. They are all about the bling here. I guess when you're worth millions of dollars, you can afford to be blinged out.

And now for some Arabic vocabulary...

I haven't learned Arabic words that would phonetically start with an 'o' yet, so, I'm using an English 'o' word...

orange - bortukali (bor-tu-KAHL-i)

3 comments:

Mel April 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM  

Different customs are always so intriguing and interesting to learn about. Thanks for imparting the wisdom!

michelle April 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM  

Hi there. I'm visiting from the A to Z challenge circuit. Nice to meet you. *waves*

Yes, I think OTT is actually a 'mild' description...
I'm your newest follower...

Unknown April 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM  

Mel, you're welcome. Lol

Michelle, welcome! Thanks for following me.

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP