Powered by Blogger.

M is for...Morocco and Mom

 Sunday, April 15, 2012

I know my theme this month is my Abu Dhabi experience, so you're probably wondering what does Morocco have to do with Abu Dhabi. It's part of my experience, I promise.


Three weeks ago, we had our Spring Break. 


Best. Spring Break. Ever. 


The first week, I went to Marrakech, Morocco. I LOVED it! OMG, it was so beautiful! Although Morocco is a predominantly Arab country like the U.A.E. it was not the same. The atmosphere was different. Friendlier. More relaxed. I saw more smiles. Don't get me wrong. Abu Dhabi is a great place to live. And there are some friendly people. It's just that I saw more in Morocco. Marrakech isn't as rich as Abu Dhabi. I didn't see many high rise buildings. But it was still beautiful to me. And it rained! It doesn't rain much here, so we were excited to see rain. Mountains, waterfalls, greenery, all add to the beauty of Marrakech. 


I love the accent of the people there. They speak French, Arabic, English, and Berber (Berbers are the indigenous people of Morocco...kind of like the US Native Americans). Their accent was a mixture of French & Arabic. Beautiful. I especially love the accent when a gorgeous man spoke. Yes, the men were gorgeous. I'd heard about Moroccan men before going, but I paid no attention to it. I'm glad to say it is true. The men - actually, the men and women - are beautiful.


I have to say, I fell in love with Morocco. If they were hiring English teachers, that would be the next place I move to (unless, of course Puerto Rico came calling). By the way, we also visited Casablanca. Gorgeous as well! I took too many pics to add, but here are a few...

Mountain View

We climbed a mountain to see the beautiful waterfalls!

Takes your breath away, doesn't it?

Beautiful Casablanca beach!
The second week, my mom visited. I was so excited! I miss my family and having my mom with me...priceless. We relaxed the first few days so she could get over her jetlag and time difference. We visited the Grand Mosque, Dubai, Emirates Palace, Marina Mall, went on a dinner cruise...and enjoyed each other's company. By the time she left, Mama said she felt like a queen. I'm glad, cos she so deserves it. I love my mommy!
We visited the Grand Mosque. Had to wear shaylas in order to get in.
And now for some Arabic vocabulary...


ma'a salama - goodbye
marhaban - welcome


8 comments:

Mel April 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM  

That sounds like an a amazing spring break!

Anonymous,  April 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM  

very interesting post!

Unknown April 16, 2012 at 6:20 AM  

Thanks for commenting. It was an amazing spring break!

Bonnie April 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM  

We also fell in love with Morocco! I had to learn how to make the tea when we got home. :) (It's also my "M". Well, bonus "M"... I wanted to write more about it than my regular A to Z posts.)

Enjoying reading about your travels!

Unknown April 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM  

Hi Rae, I just signed my contract and will be making the move to Abu Dhabi in August. I would love to get in contact via email just to ask some questions.
As a fellow Christian and woman of color, I would love to get some perspective on life in the UAE.
check out my blog as well, I'm a huge fan of yours.
Jadeblyss.blogspot.com
Thanks!

Arr April 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM  

You ladies are beautiful. Morocco is on my list of places to visit as well.

Unknown April 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM  

Bonnie, I haven't learned how to make the tea yet.

Hi Leela. That's cool. Congrats! Can't wait to meet new teachers yay! We need y'all. Lol. You can find me at creativeangel76 at yahoo dot com.

Thank you, Reginia! It's an awesome place to visit!

Elizabeth Twist April 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM  

So glad I stopped in here, Rae. What an amazing adventure you're having! Love the photos - more please!

A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP