Powered by Blogger.

XYZ is for...X-ceptional, Yas Island, and Zip

 Sunday, April 29, 2012

X-ceptional


I must say, overall, I'm impressed with Abu Dhabi...the whole country of UAE, actually. They're dreaming big with how they see their country in the future. I say there's nothing wrong with dreaming big. I know the country has issues, but what country doesn't? And it's a fairly new country - they just had their 40th birthday in December - so they're going to make mistakes. Lots of them. I'm willing to bet the US made lots of mistakes in its infancy (slavery being one of them). Heck, the US is still making mistakes and it's over 200 years old! I'm not excusing some of the behavior (like the sense of entitlement that so many people have here), I'm just saying I'm not surprised. 


I like Abu Dhabi. I like living here. I like the things I've been able to do. I like my journey. In case you hadn't noticed, this journey is so much more than just my working here. It's about growth and boy have I grown. I'm still growing. I've experienced a few challenges here and there, but overall, I'd say Abu Dhabi is an x-ceptional place to live!


Yas Island


Speaking of x-ceptional places, I can't talk about Abu Dhabi without mentioning Yas Island, a man-made island in Abu Dhabi. It's not totally developed yet, but what they have so far is amazing. Yas Island is home to several hotels, including the gorgeous 5-star Yas Hotel. It's also home to the Yas Island Circuit, where the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is held, and Yas Arena, where many of the concerts are held. I had the privilege of seeing both Janet Jackson and Sade perform last fall at the Yas Arena. Both ladies were not only gorgeous, but their concerts were awesome. Guess what else is on Yas Island? FERRARI WORLD! Ferrari World is a theme park where the world's fastest roller coaster is at. I haven't been to Ferrari World, yet, but I do plan on going. Especially since I love roller coasters. I mean come on. The world's fastest roller coaster practically in my backyard? Too cool to pass up! Eventually, they plan to add more to Yas Island, including a Warner Bros Theme Park.

Photo courtesy of YasIsland.eu
This is a computerized image from thecoolist.com, but it really does look like this.
Formula Rossa, the world's fastest roller coaster. Photo courtesy of travel-loc.com


Zip


A word of caution. If you ever plan to visit or live in Abu Dhabi, make sure you are careful not to say "zip". This seemingly harmless English word means "penis" or a more crude word for the male anatomy, if you know what I mean. Thankfully, someone told me this before I used this word at school, but other teachers have had to learn the hard way. Telling the children to "zip your lips" will certainly cause a round of giggles.


And now for some Arabic vocabulary...


yellow - asfar
you - inta (male); inti (female)



2 comments:

Unknown June 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM  

They're dreaming big with how they see their country in the future.

Khalifa City Abu Dhabi

Chinee September 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM  

This is one of the places that I really wanted to check out one day. Abu Dhabi is fast rising and after learning about the Yas Hotels, I am so eager to travel there.

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP