Powered by Blogger.

P is for...Pride

 Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pride is a big thing here. This, I've noticed, can be both a good and bad thing.

Pride sometimes keep you from admitting it when you're wrong. Pride can make you feel like you're better than others. It can make you walk around with thought that you're untouchable. Pride can make you have a sense of entitlement...like because you have this, you're entitled to that. One thing that annoys me is when I'm at the store, waiting in line and someone waltzes right up to the front, skipping everyone else, with no apologies. The person ignores everyone else and looks at the cashier, or whoever, as if they need to drop everything and wait on them. It's important to remember, though: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18). The US had to learn this the hard way.

Don't get me wrong. Not everyone here walks around with an air of superiority. I've met some awesome locals. The hospitality of some of the Emiratis is amazing. We could learn from some of them. Some, though do have this "I'm better than you because I have millions of dollars" attitude. To me, it's the ones who are hospitable - who don't have the attitude - that makes my stay here awesome. I've learned to ignore the rest. Or pray for them. Honestly, I don't think they know any better. This is a fairly young country who came upon a crazy amount of money in such a short time. I believe it's this young generation - the ones I'm teaching - who will make the changes this country needs.

On the good side, they have such an awesome pride in their country. The students start in KG (earlier, if parents start) learning the national anthem as well as the pledge. And they take it so serious. The kids know they're not supposed to move when singing the anthem or saying the pledge. The kids can also recognize a map of their country. At least my students can. Our letter for this week is "U", so of course, a vocabulary word is, "U.A.E." I showed a map of the U.A.E. and before I could get the words out, the kids got excited saying, "Emirat! Emirat!" This is amazing considering the kids are only 3 and 4. There are people - adults - in the States who wouldn't even be able to tell you where the state of Illinois is. Emirati children are taught at a young age to love their country and have pride in being an Emirati. While I know American pride is still alive, I think, somewhere down the line, that pride diminished. A lot of people don't teach their kids to be proud to be an American.

Let me tell you, America has its issues. I don't agree with everything that happens in there. Sometimes, I'm embarrassed by the tactics of Americans. But I am proud to be an American. I love my country...just as much as Emiratis love their country. I love the U.A.E. This is a pretty awesome to live, despite the problems I've noticed. It's beautiful here. But as far as countries go, America will always have my heart.

And now for some Arabic vocabulary. There aren't any words equivalent to "p", so I'm using English vocab again...

purple - banafsaji
Peace be upon you - Assalamu alaikum (This is the greeting. The response is "Walaikum assalam.")

3 comments:

Gail M Baugniet - Author April 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM  

Pride can ruin a perfectly good day!
You have chosen an informative and interesting theme for this year's A to Z Challenge. I'll be back to check out some of your earlier posts.
http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com Theme: A World of Crime

michelle April 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM  

As you mentioned , pride can be both positive & negative...
The trick is to apply the correct type of pride within the appropriate context...
Happy P-Day!

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP