Powered by Blogger.

T is for...Traditional Wear

 Monday, April 23, 2012



Men: The men's traditional clothing is known as the kandora, which looks kind of like a robe...or a man-dress. I've seen white, dark blue, tan, and black kandoras, but most of the men wear white. Now, I must say, I've never thought I'd find any man in a "dress" attractive, but I've seen some attractive men in kandoras here. Along with the kandora is the traditional headdress, keffiyeh. I've seen red/white as well as white with a black chord around it.
Yes, my dears. This is Snoop Dogg in a kandora. He came here to perform last May.
Women: Women wear abayas. Abaya means "black dress" which is exactly what it is. Sure, the abayas would have fancy decorations on it, but the dress itself is black. The headdress for women is called a shayla. Some women cover only their hair, while others cover all their face except the eyes. Still, others cover the entire face. I own three abayas: two that open in the front and one that I'd have to put on over my head. I only wear them to work. I love wearing the one I'd have to put over my head because it doesn't require me to dress up under it. I only wear yoga pants and a tank top with flip flops under it. Thanks to my being vertically challenged (aka, short), my abayas are so long, you wouldn't be able to see what kind of shoes I'd wear. We don't wear the shayla, because, from what I'm told, you only wear it if you're Muslim.


These women only leave their eyes uncovered.


And now for some Arabic vocabulary...


Ta'ala (male); Ta'alay (female) - Come with me.
thalatha - three
thamania - eight
tis'a - nine


4 comments:

Mel April 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM  

Interesting! I love that you get to wear yoga pants to work...jealous :)

Unknown April 24, 2012 at 4:36 AM  

Lol! I love being able to wear them to work. :D

M Pax April 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

I think it'd be freeing in some ways.

Unknown April 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM  

Yes, in some ways because you don't have to spend so much time trying to figure out what to wear. :D

Post a Comment

I love reading comments. Let's talk!

About This Blog

This blog is all about my adventures while living in Abu Dhabi. Come along with me for what will be an awesome experience. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP